[Ayatana] Workspace representations in the Launcher

I'm replying both to the bug, and to the Ayatana list, about the
suggestion exemplified in the mockup at
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/58399971/Launcher%20d.png

First, thanks David for a very interesting idea, and for expressing it
in a series of mockups that let people get a visual handle on the
suggestion, that's a good technique and facilitates discussion of the
design.

For now, we'd prefer to keep workspaces confined to a single icon on the
launcher. We do want to improve the experience folks have when they use
that icon, however:

 - by default, in Natty this will do a "desktop spread" showing all the
windows on the current workspace, rather than the Maverick behaviour of
showing all the workspaces. This is to accommodate the fact that most
people only use one workspace, and everyone starts out that way till
they activate the others.

 - you will be able to jump smoothly between workspaces in this view,
and move windows from the current workspace to any other workspace very
easily.

 - however, we will limit the number of workspaces to 4 in Natty, with
experimentation under way for more workspaces in line with the
interactions we support in Natty.

I do like the idea of being able to drag a window directly to a
workspace, and we should consider whether dragging the launcher of a
running app could be used for that. A question, though - would dragging
the launcher move ALL the windows of that app to that workspace, or just
the most recently focused window?

Mark