Re: [Ayatana] Global Menu on the Desktop

On 1 November 2010 13:59, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 14:40, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To reiterate, I understand the reasoning for the global menu on netbooks, and I totally agree. Why is a global menu better on a modern high-resolution or multiple-monitor desktop than the current system?

Luke.

because.
* it cleans up the application window

Well, it frees up a little vertical space if that's what you mean.

* it removes redundancy from the desktop

How? We still need individual application menus, but instead we have to focus the correct window to get to them. Those menus aren't redundant they are just being hidden where they are more difficult to get to.

* it makes the entire desktop surface cleaner

Well, this is really your first point, I don't see where it makes anything but the windows cleaner. If anything on the desktop it makes the panel cluttered.

* it's easier to do innovation on 1 global AppMenu than on every app's individual menu

True. But if the single menu is a step backwards, we're innovating on something suboptimal.

None of those things make up for the extra mouse travel, multiple monitor issues and increased window focusing/clicking.

Luke.