Re: [Ayatana] File menu

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hello there,

thinking about the File menu, it has become clear to me that the known approach is the best:
replace "File" with either [Application Name] or alternatively, as Rhythmbox does it, a title that indicates the main purpose of the respective utility..

i have checked and found Empathy, Simple Scan, Rhythmbox, Totem, Calculator and others implement this.
Now what is the better menu title strategy?
a) indicate the name of the application (Gwibber, Calculator)
b) indicate the main purpose/function of the application ( Empathy: "Chat")
c) indicate the content of the application is meant to handle (Rhythmbox: "Music")

my personal preference is (b), if (b) is not available i'd suggest using (a).

what do y'all think?

I agree, the current menu system is flawed. It is only from past experience with Windows that anyone could figure out where to find a certain task in a menu.

Yet why is this system still used? In my opinion, it is because it offers desktop consistency. For example:
But there has to be a way to achieve desktop consistency and have meaningful lavels. How? Well, I propose the following (which is quite similar to MacOSX, which has gotten it right in this regard):

|[App Name]|[Doc Type]| Edit | Tools | Help |

This is just something I thought of off the top of my head, so it is no way perfect. But it is a step in the right direction, and I feel that if designers came together and came up with a definitive spec for menu structure, usabilty in ubuntu would benefit tremendously.