Re: [Ayatana] hearphones indicator?

Hi Dani,

Very nice idea !

The only problem I see is that jack-sensing has not properly landed in pulse. Therefore within userspace (kernel speak:) it is very difficult to determine whether headphones are plugged in or not at the software level. It all depends on the driver. And if you have had any exposure to audio driver design on linux you will know that it is non-conformist (and that's being kind !).

It is possible however to easily determine a USB headset through pulse (monitor for sinks appearing and disappearing and do some sort of fuzzy match on the sink name and properties).

Conor