Re: [Ayatana] "fileless" paradigm (was: File menu)

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 22:05, cmaglothin <cmaglothin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To combat your argument that you need folders to keep organized, why not just supliment the idea of sorting by type with the adding of "projects."

because we will need files and folders, until something equivalently potent comes along to satisfy our day to day use cases.

Take Tracker¹ for example.. it's still very buggy and not ready for use on production machines.
You can now tag files and folders in Nautilus, which is truly a viable alternative to Filename.Extension in /folderXYZ.
Tagging is buggy tho, and my attempt to tag a handful of .pdf files with the new tag "lyrics" returned "1.1250: syntax error, unexpected character".
Then sometimes it works, but a CTRL+F search in Nautilus doesn't search the tags yet..

About what we call the "Fileless paradigm" in this thread?
It's really within reach...

How about the KDE guys? Any more luck over there with tagging?

¹ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Tracker