Re: [Ayatana] Introduction and thoughts on Unity

Hi Spike,

I agree on all your points, but I do have some refinements.

2) Drag and drop in the Mutter version of Unity was implemented, but you couldn't grab an icon and drag it straight down or up. You had to pull the icon from the launcher a bit and then move it up or down. If you pull it away further, it would opt for removal of the icon instead.
Whilst I think the removal part makes perfect sense, I don't agree with having to pull an icon out to place it somewhere else.
I think one should be able to pull it down or up directly (doing this in the Mutter version pulls the content of the whole launcher up or down, which I think is annoying and useless behaviour, especially combined with it's folding capacity and the fact that a launcher that is packed with icons isn't usable anymore - there's no visual grouping so finding your icon becomes hard).
To make sure that people who have problems with mice can operate clicking and dragging, the amount of movement before a drag is considered should be reasonably large (say more than half an icon height/width away). This gives some leeway for clicking, and still enables fast and smooth dragging.
For the removal act, I think we should interpret it as a removal act when the icon is pulled completely from the launcher. If it is still on it a bit, consider it a click.
These drag zones can be made more clear by changing colour and maybe getting an icon (and having the mouse pointer change when you go over it).

3) I agree that the colour seems to indicate inactivity (and interfere somewhat by having less contrast), but I do feel that they should have a unique appearance. So of the top of my head, I'd say we may be able to show them with a different background colour than the other icons or maybe (in the spirit of the workspace mock-up) inside a different coloured block.

Here's one further thought I had:
Currently, searching is not covered with a short-cut key, so it can't be reached really fast. In the spirit of gnome-do and other launchers, it seems prudent to make the Windows/super key take you to the Dash (as the top left Ubuntu button already does), with the focus on the search field. Also, the current search should be made faster as it is currently quite slow. Doing this enables a user to reach and operate search with one button, which is quite powerful, and every one on their way to becoming an perpetual intermediate (About face) will find it. To strengthen finding this action, I suggest to display a tool-tip on every button with a short-cut key with the short-cut in bold text (or maybe a button graphic with clear symbols on them) to enable findability.
To make search results even faster to get through, I suggest enabling the arrow keys to go through them and make tab to the next category of results. This should also be really fast and obviously findable for a user.

All these suggestions will help users on the path to becoming a perpetual intermediate, which is what one should aim for with a UI in my opinion.