Re: [Ayatana] Applications suggestion according to hardware capabilities

I agree that it is a good idea to support new users in such cases, but most people would get annoyed by these suggestions as they progress in their use of the system.
Instead, I feel we should show new users how to use the software centre, which does an more than adequate job in managing software for the user.
When they learn that the software centre can perform such actions for them, it can become helpful to make it aware of what a user may need.
For example, when attaching for example a web-cam the following could happen:
The device should just work. Only notify the user of anything if something goes wrong. When a user attaches a web-cam, it knows it did that, so there is no need to bash him with redundant messages, like Windows does. For comparison, a Mac will not display these useless messages.
If the user has used this device before, then we're basically done. He will know what to do.
A new user should have been gently guided to the software centre by way of education (by another user, the installation process, first-time run, or the system itself at  some point). The user will then automatically try the software centre for getting under way.
In the software centre itself, the recommended programs list displayed could be altered to show helpful applications for that device. This enables a user to quickly find what he needs (if it isn't installed already) through a standardized procedure.

How should we guide the user to the software centre? I think it would be a good idea to have the search function (which in my opinion should be made a central component of Unity anyway) make these suggestions. So when searching for 'web-cam', Unity could provide results related to possible programs to install for that (directly linking to the relevant page in the software centre).

Doing this avoids annoying more experienced users, and still helps newer users on their way.

Just my 2cts.