From: Jason Smith <jason.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Martín "A. Casco" <martincasco@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ayatana <ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Dec 5, 2010 7:05 pm
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Launcher' icons size to big

I wrote docky, trust me, it happens :)

> But, if we use 52 x 52 small screens will loose to much space on
> launcher, and auto-hide can't be the solutions, for many users like
> me, auto-hide is not used..

Compared to the old launcher you lose an extra 2-4 pixels horizontally.
I understand then point about horizontal space. I believe a better
hiding mode may be useful for you. I hope to have intellihide ready
soon.

> Even more, with 52 x 52 icon's size, we can't add more apps to the
> launcher, I know the option  arrange icons when we have a lot of apps
> on launcher or to many apps open, but this option is very unusable,
> it's look nice, but it's unusably..

52x52 vs 48x48 makes no difference in terms of number of vertical
applications on the launcher in a standard netbook screen. The last once
folds a tiny bit sooner is all.

I should note the code is completely flexible in icon sizing so we can
do resolution independent UI in the future.

--
Jason Smith | Desktop Experience Team
GNOME Developer