Re: [Ayatana] Do You Use Gwibber?

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 22:40, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyways, for the sake of giving a more complete answer: it should be
mentioned that the Me Menu has always been designed to be more
functional with respect to microblogging thant it is now:

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/MeMenu#Use%20cases

Reading this spec over again was quite inspiring!
The first thing that came to my mind, is to conclude the poll for now and to focus on the new task at hand:
- how to merge the messaging menu with the me menu.

the only thing i can see that the two have in common is their social context, so i'd brainstorm some titles:
We Menu
Social Menu
People Menu
Contact Menu
Communication Menu
Me Menu

after a couple of hours of research on icons, symbols and pictograms for "Feed", "Stream" and "Communication", i finally came to realize that the combined menu we are looking for will not represent a protocol, a group of protocols or a type of communication, it will represent ME in context of my social environment, computerized, connected, attentive to hails or occupied otherwise.

The purpose of the messaging menu is pretty clear, there is not much to discuss. The envelope on top of it doesn't represent the menu's contents equally, so this is nothing we would want to transfer to the new proposed combined menu.

What we *do* want to preserve is the expressive power of the Me Menu, its features:
* Me
* Presence
* Custom Status (publish!)
* Accounts

normally i'd say Presence belongs in the Session Menu, because the Session Menu is not limited to communication and would allow Presence to also affect the local system behaviour.
Now if proposed new Menu stands primarily for "Me" and what "Me" wants, there's no problem with keeping Presence in there.

The next step is to condense the functionality of the Messaging Menu into the Me Menu, in order to make the best out of it all ;)

we have already isolated the main content, functionality and purpose of the messaging menu:
* Conversation Indicators

now let's merge:
* Me
* Presence
* Custom Status (publish!)
* Conversation Indicators
* Accounts

I think everything related to Accounts should be handled in About Me.
Clicking my Face (top menu item) should open About Me.
Entering a detail like my instant messaging address for e.g. XMPP should connect all the dots for me:
 * configure chat account
 * pull contacts and populate Folks
 * get my last known Avatar and status message

Upon first boot, a wizard should open "About Me", asking me to enter my details or to skip.
anyone?