[Ayatana] Intellihide

intellihide:

* what is the current concept Unity is employing on this?

why people want a persistent launcher:
- better mouse targeting visibility
- overview / window list
- speed

why people want an intellihide launcher:
- additional display space
- less clutter
- focus on content

* any more?

i think this is not really a per-user thing and it needs some open discussing.
AIUI, intellihide is necessary for temoporary application, not as permanent behaviour.

Who would like to have his launcher autohiding all the time?
Who wants it to behave more like a panel?

I for one believe that the launcher should be as persistent as possible, it shouldn't just back away because an application window is covered by it.
That's why we used to have hide buttons on the panel: so that we could manage its visibility at our own convenience, defaulting to persistence.
When a window is covered by the launcher, i think it should only hide if the window covered by the launcher has focus.
It the window below the launcher has no focus, the launcher should not back away.

please, opinions are welcome ;)