Re: [Ayatana] Put a resize widget in the title bar

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 4:43 AM, frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx
<frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Remco,
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 13:50, Remco <remco47@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 07:16, cmaglothin <cmaglothin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I agree. The only reason I ever boot into Windows is that I have to
>> > annotate
>> > movies for a class, and Snap makes it very easy to do with just two
>> > clicks.

>> You'll like Compiz Grid. I think Frederik's idea is simply a mouse
>> interface to Compiz Grid.
>
> yeah, essentially, i would love to see stuff snapping to an invisible grid.
> This could then be disabled by holding a modifier key such as [ALT].
> By default, snap to grid should be enabled for:
> * moving windows
> * resizing windows
> * scaling windows
> i also suggest strongly to consider window controls as nothing else than
> what the name suggests:
> controls for the window at hand.
> often, we are confronted with the question whether or not closing a window
> will quit the app contained in it.
> This is poor design, i mean, window controls are not well designed, if they
> affect the service instead of only the window.
> Now about Compiz Grid.. it's remarkable, the windows7 thingy is fully
> implemented and of course completely configurable to the corner and pixel ;)
> i jast had an easy time splitting my screen in two halves.. took me 2
> click-drag-releases.
> Thanks to whoever did that in Compiz!

It was scott :) He's a dude.

Apologies to hijack this thread - I have already got a sample
implementation of implementing a resize grip area set by the theme
which is larger than the borders and it vastly resolves the precision
problem. It requires a patched metacity though