Re: [Ayatana] Graceful degradation of Unity

On 13/12/10 17:17, Spike Burch wrote:
> What I would do, although this is duplicating effort in the long run,
> is write a 2d version of unity using EFL, just like they did with the
> old netbook interface

That's what I would do too :-)

For 11.04, the focus is on getting Unity-with-GL as good as we can.
However, in time for the LTS, we will want a 2D experience which shares
enough of the interactions that it doesn't require a second set of
documentation.

As Ryan Prior pointed out, Unity is unproven. We're confident in it -
enough to commit to it for 11.04, and the design has been flattered with
imitation elsewhere, so that's reassuring too :-). But having the
existing Gnome 2 style panel-based fallback is fine in 11.04 because it
provides a familiar environment for those who want it, and is stable and
well trusted.

Mark