Re: [Ayatana] Graceful degradation of Unity

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 13/12/10 17:17, Spike Burch wrote:
>> What I would do, although this is duplicating effort in the long run,
>> is write a 2d version of unity using EFL, just like they did with the
>> old netbook interface
>
> That's what I would do too :-)
>
> For 11.04, the focus is on getting Unity-with-GL as good as we can.
> However, in time for the LTS, we will want a 2D experience which shares
> enough of the interactions that it doesn't require a second set of
> documentation.

I doubt we'd be able to shove EFL into compiz (Carsten if you are
reading this, please prove me wrong), but compiz has had a 2D fallback
mode for a while now, and while it essentially turns it into an
extremely dumb window manager, it has the capacity to be improved.

I'm almost wondering whether setting the baseline on XRender and
leaving out any kind of non-compositing is worth pursuing - we can
achieve similar views with XRender compositing, although it won't be
as fast.