Re: [Ayatana] Me & Messaging Indicator Menu

Hi mpt,

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:07, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Frederik Nnaji wrote on 27/12/10 18:42:

> On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 17:23 +0100, zekopeko wrote:
>>
>> Since Unity has access to OpenGL it would be nice to have a more shiny
>> effect showing when a new message comes. Some sort of moving particle
>> effect.
>
> yeah, particle engine stuff would be sexy indeed, but spec says we want
> no more than 1 frame / sec on the indicator icons.

That doesn't sound right. What specification are you referring to?

oh yeah, it's not exactly a specification, these were Design Recommendations on the GNOME Status Indicators Research page¹:

"Status icons should use a style that is consistent with the text and menus present on the top panel. In general, these icons should use colors in a considered and measured way. Icons and indicators must not change rapidly or abruptly (not more than once a second). Icon changes should transition smoothly."

on a side note:
..in the Use Guidelines² i really fell in love with the simple example they use for "Fullscreen Controls". The controls are in the middle of the content area and they still don't get in the way, because they are semi-transparent, using symbolic icons and decent in color ( i.e. not too "loud" ).

¹ http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Research/StatusIndicators
² http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/SymbolicIcons/UseGuidelines