[Ayatana] Quicklist background in unity

To me, the current background of the quicklists seemed quite out of place. So much so, in fact, that I filed a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/697782

I was told to ask the design team about the background choice. So I'm going to do so now:

Why is the grid background used now, even when the the rest of unity has lost that theme?

Personally, I feel that design consistency really helps make the product look polished and professional, an this problem is detracting from unity's polish.

If there is a reason, I would love to hear, and if there is no reason, I would love to see it changed in unity. ;)