Re: [Ayatana] nm-applet indicator patch improvements

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:26 PM, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre
<mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just posted some details about the latest stuff I had been working
> on for the nm-applet indicator patch: http://ur1.ca/2r6p9.
>
> I will however spare you most the reading; re-adding the animations,
> wireless signal strength icons and vpn padlock icons for VPN and
> secure WiFi is mostly done. All this is waiting for is shipping the
> new icons that should be generated automatically at install time in
> the ubuntu-mono package.
>
> Here's a sneak peak of what it looks like: http://twitpic.com/3n0a95
>
> This is still only on my local system, but I'm getting ready to push
> it to lauchpad and merge it back into the nm-applet packaging branches
> shortly.
>
> There's still at least one issue I would like to discuss: the
> complexity of the design as it is right now. I've read the previous
> thread about it[1] and I've seen a bug on that too[2].
>
> Without forgetting the bug report from Shane about VPN connections[3].
>
> So, I thought I'd try to get some ideas, or maybe even mockups about
> how people think it should look? Please keep in mind though that this
> is really meant to not stray too far from the upstream look and feel
> of network-manager-applet, though I guess it could perhaps lead or
> pave the way for what indicator-network will look like (so please keep
> in mind mpt's design and what is already done in indicator-network). I
> think of it as slowly going towards the design users will see in
> indicator-network, without going overboard.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [1] - https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg04524.html
> [2] - https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/654722
> [3] - https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/683934
>
> Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx>
> Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@xxxxxxxxx
> 4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93

I have a couple of questions.

Will this (in time for 11.04) look like what the Networking
specification is proposing? On/Off switches etc.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Networking

AFAICT the plan is for this to be a stop gap measure before conman is
ready. Why is conman being targeted and not NM? Conman apparently has
missing functionality when compared to NM. Wouldn't it be better to
fix NM then reinvent the wheel with conman? Are there some technical
reasons as to prefer a potentially buggy piece of software over a
mature product?