Re: [Ayatana] Fwd: Evolution indicator

Hi Jean,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 13:02, Jean Levasseur <levasseur.jean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2011/1/18 frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx>
Expéditeur: Jeremy Nickurak <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 janvier 2011 18:38:01 HNE
Destinataire: Jean Levasseur <levasseur.jean@xxxxxxxxx>
Objet: Rép : [Ayatana] Evolution indicator
"evolution-alarm-notify", however, is a service. Maybe we need an evolution-mail-notify service to fill the same area? Might be more work to implement it that way however. How does evolution-data-server fit into this? Is there already most of the code to do this as a "service" that sits in the background and lacks the overhead of a full UI?

there's gmail-notify, it has been around for a while and is supported by the MeMenu

Yes, but it does work for gmails account only.  What if I'm using an e-mail provided by my ISP?

Gmail-notify is a working example of what you are describing, that's why i mentioned it.
The functionality is exactly what you are talking about, adding a configuration option for "other" would complete your quest.
That done, i took the thread back to the "what" and away from the "how", which is better kept in Ayatana-dev.

Let's keep it simple and build on what we already have!

agreed.

I don't know the technical details about evolution-data-server, but when I encountered that entry in my session set-up, I firstly though that was exactly what I was looking for.  Perhaps I was wrong, but can it play a role into that?

AFAIK EDS is for contacts and calendar services, not really for mail. I'd love to be proven wrong, since i also want the feature you are suggesting to be implemented soon, it has been discussed here a lot last year, what was somehow missing was a big picture. The big picture is what i put down in my previous mail.
This document might or might not help you understand EDS:
http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/arch.shtml
from what i understand, CAMEL is a part of EDS, which can do what you ask, in that the document is already contradicting itself :P

otherwise, ayatana-dev might be a better place for questions about implementation.