Re: [Ayatana] New idea of usability for Unity

On 21/03/11 11:12, Mitja Pagon wrote:
>> Good stuff - the menu (M) button should be implemented by ages ..
>> finally some necessary order regarding usability
>
> No it should not, it's a bad idea and a degradation of usablity and if
> you would have even the basic understanding of the subject of usability
> you would know why.

I do wonder however, whether it would have been a better choice to unify
the global-menu under a single menu button (similar in specification to
those of Firefox 4.0 and Opera 10.0).

Whilst I understand that there is some utility in the global-menu in
it's present form (i.e. that the end-user can see the menu they're
targeting) I find that nested vertical menus are more intuitive to
navigate. Furthermore the global-menu, as presently implemented in
Unity, feels cramped due to crowding of Unity's panel IMHO.

Regards,

Lee.
--
"The second basic thesis is that intellectual freedom is essential to
human society — freedom to obtain and distribute information, freedom

	-- Andrei Sakharov, The New York Times (July 22nd, 1968)