Re: [Ayatana] New idea of usability for Unity

On 21/03/11 12:01, Mitja Pagon wrote:
> That is based on so many false assumptions and false arguments it makes
> no sense. First it's not all about choice, second if application has
> menus users never use, should that application have menus at all? But
> that is not a problem that should be solved on a "shell" level, it's up
> to applications to improve their interfaces.

What if application developers chose to keep the menu toolbar (which
global menu replicates) for advanced and rarely used options, and
implement a one-button menu solution (similar to the elementaryOS
approach) to consolidate commonly used functions?

The global-menu, as I understand it, gives no consideration to such
implementations and simply exposes the menu toolbar regardless. This
undoes alot of the (IMO) excellent UI work done by the developers of
nautilus-elementary, Firefox 4.0+ and Opera 10.0+ (etc...).

As I mentioned previously, I favour these nested vertical menus (for me
they're much more intuitive*). Even if, as a fallback for applications
which still rely on a menu toolbar (presently the vast majority) it
involves a vertical implementation of said menu toolbar (summoned by a
single button, or clicking on the window title).

Kind Regards,

Lee Hyde.

*I find that I intuitively recall the vertical position of a menu item,
whereas I don't recall the horizontal position. Am I alone in this? Is
this a known phenomenon?

--
"There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"

	-- Dr. Jonas Stalk, on being asked who owned the patent for his polio
vaccine