Re: [Ayatana] What to do with the menubar on non-full screened windows.

SorinN wrote on 30/03/11 22:33:

> Matthew
>
> " If it's an obscene amount, your pointer acceleration settings are
> wrong: you'll have just as much trouble getting to the Ubuntu button,
> the Trash, or the session menu."
>
> The obscene amount is still there - you can not cut it out in just 3
> words. It would be easy of course to solve problems this way.
> ;) Sounds like "Me, then Goethe".
>
> I can ask you how do you get this point ? The arguments are vague.

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.

> The mouse acceleration has nothing with that - think about a large
> amount of users NEVER change the initial mouse settings. In plus,
> Global Menu break the eye focus when you follow the mouse to the menu
> and back. Think about big screens.

Interface design for notebook and desktop PCs has always assumed that
you can get from any point on the screen, to any other point on the
screen, with a single flick of the mouse or touchpad. That's true for
Windows, it's true for Mac OS, and it's true for Ubuntu. If Ubuntu's
default mouse settings don't allow for that, we need to fix them.

> Your analogy with the Trash and Session Menu is not very clear. You
> normally visit Trash or Session Menu just very few times per session
> but the Global Menu very often because of his role.

That may be true for the Trash and session menu, but not for the Ubuntu
button.

> If the  focus is disturbed too often - the brain will got tired sooner
> ..is a normal reaction.
>
> "Not only would that -- like other single-menu designs -- be much
> slower to use, it would also mean the menu structure changed
> fundamentally depending solely on how big the window is, which would be
> bizarre."
>
> you say which would be bizarre - how bizarre ?
> which metric your words describe ?

What?

> this is a matter of the application owner / user choice (Like Firefox
> personal menu I want this function == I install the add-on). Not any
> application must be ruled by the OS using a single measure.

That the Firefox implementation is an add-on is part of the development
process, not part of the ultimate design. Once the Firefox extension is
shown to work well, and if Unity becomes successful, I expect the
extension will be merged into Firefox trunk, just like Mac menu bar
integration is.

> Hide / Show menu-bar button - can solve this problem by letting you to
> choose which menu you want to see and which not.

Without any hope of knowing why you might want to choose one or the
other. That would be even worse than those applications with "Beginner"
and "Advanced" modes.

> Finally for Global Menu - If the global menu will not be optional, at
> least users should choose which app will use Global Menu and not.

Anyone who said the same for a Mac application would be laughed out of
the market.

- --
mpt