Re: [Ayatana] Idea for improving visibility of running applications

I think it would be a shame to desaturate the applications which aren't running at all times. If you have the launcher set to always visible and only one application running then it would look dark and boring, don't you think? And as I said in my previous post, I can't really see the use in showing which applications are hidden. It has never been deemed necessary, not in   Windows and in Gnome 2.x it's only shown with a pair of "[ ]" around the application name, and I've honestly really thought about that 'til now . That is why I'm still convinced that my original idea is the best proposed solution so far. As Ed Lin pointed out it might be a problem in getting the launcher to react on hover, but wouldn't it benefit the UX (User Experience) greatly? Isn't it worth it?

Some didn't like that the icons greyed out completely and I understand that and that's why I proposed a configuration option for that. If we just take a look on how it would look like if it wasn't completely greyed out and only partially desaturated the idea might feel more approachable. That's why I created a new version of my previous mockup:

http://i.imgur.com/3bajD.png

Please just give it some reconsideration out of the UX-perspective. If this was an option then I feel that this would be enough to provide a start for a descent window centric workflow without removing the app-centric workflow out of the design. And I don't really see a problem in adding the configuration options since people will want to be able to configure the launcher anyway, we can't take that out of the picture. Some want the launcher to be visible at all times and some want it to hide automatically. I do understand that in practice we may find flaws with this design so I was thinking of maybe making a _javascript_ and HTML mockup in the browser.

What are your thoughts?