Re: [Ayatana] Dash Idea – Easy Lens Switcher

El jue, 26-05-2011 a las 14:37 +0200, Jo-Erlend Schinstad escribió:
I think the idea of a lenses-bar is great. That would solve some problems.
As it is, the Files and folders lense and the Applications lense consumes
two tiles on the launcher, which occupies valuable space without, I think,
adding any significant value.

As Unity matures and is being adopted by more people, we are likely to
see lots of different lenses. Should they all have a static tile on the launcher?
If we consider lenses a special kind of application, then I think it makes
very much sense to have an own space for them and using the launcher
that way, seems very nice to me.

I agree with you.. During the las cycle I've said here that icons lenses were, and are, a waste of space.

I mean, now, we can reach apps and files &folders from Launcher (icons lenses) and from BFB (Ubuntu boton). So, why not centralise everything in one single button?

In my way to see it, lense have 2 aspects: 1- Icons lense; 2- Function.

1- Icons Lense: they are a waste of space, specially with all the cool and good lense that we have now and we'll have. I think it's better save that space for use it with more usable apps.
2- Function: we can reach lense function from BFB. We can browse our files & folders (a more deep file browse for Dash could be perfect, no Nautilus necessary for a quick Home explore, example), we can browse in our Apps, With Contact lense we can browse in our contacts, and so on.

So, I think it's more consistent not use icons lense and integrate more deeper the function in to the Dash and access the dash from BFB only, maybe with some categories in it's little menu or just in the Dash. I mean:

I want to search contacts, so I hit the meta key or click on BFB, type my contact's name and they came up in the Dash. --> Integrate the lense function in to the dash, and put lense filter in the categories menu lust for a more exhaustive search, I think it's better.

"Less it's more", more mature desktop, more perfect desktop. Less icons, same function, less confusing.

The Launcher must be only for manage apps, and we need only one dash access. I think it's less confusing, including, newbies.

This it's just my point of view.. I like have really cool functions, but with necessary icons. More icons, more links (like Windows or KDE) it's most confusing, at least for me. (When I look for something, I want results, not icons for that).

Regards,

Martín.