Re: [Ayatana] Global menu in Oneiric Ocelot (11.10)

GonzO have you forgotten that sometimes people require a email client if their mail server doesn't support a web interface? People in these discussion threads seem to want to rule out that people aren't using the computer in the same way as themselves.

2011/5/26 GonzO <gonzo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Bazon <bazonbloch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why should one give up a local E-mail client?

I use anywhere from 3-10 computers in my average work day.

In no way is it advantageous for me to install and configure a mail
client on all of them.  Especially one using IMAP, which is like
running web mail, but needing a specialized piece of software to do
it.  And "website overhead" isn't really a reason, either (Google
compresses everything such that the "overhead" is actually only a few
kb.  You're wasting more resources launching thunderbird than you are
using gmail in a browser).

It's not that I think people should "give up" real mail clients; its
that I literally see no point to them outside of using POP to have a
local backup.

--G