Re: [Ayatana] Two key issues to fix in Unity

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
<joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry about the pun, but there are a few keyboard issues that I think
> requires
> some attention.
>
> 1. If you press super+w (what is that view called?) and then press alt+f2,
> then you can work with the window without bringing it into the foreground.
> For instance, I pressed alt+f2, typed a few words and pressed enter. Those
> words were sent to an IRC channel because Xchat had focus. What on earth
> is the purpose of that?

Sounds like a bug where the application launching lens can receive
focus while the workspace switcher is open. File a bug on launchpad
with instructions to reproduce.

> 2. When you press and hold super, then the launcher appears almost
> immediately. If you hold it another second, then the icons get numbers on
> them to show what number key to press in order to launch an application
> or switch to it. My question is: why is there a waiting period before those
> numbers are displayed? The one second without those numbers doesn't
> seem to serve any purpose? There is a reason why I think this is important
> but I'll save that for another post.

If you press <super> + num, it launches the application or brings its windows
to focus  for the number that appears over that launcher icon.

> 3. Is there an easy way to find all keyboard combinations in the different
> "modes" of Unity? I mean normal desktop, lenses and super+w?

Not at the moment. The designers are trying to figure out keyboard
shortcuts that
are intuitive for everyone so we don't have to ship big manuals with
what all the
shortcuts do for everyone. If you can think of better ones, please suggest them
by all means :)