Re: [Ayatana] Two key issues to fix in Unity

On 28. mai 2011 04:35, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
<joerlend.schinstad@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Sorry about the pun, but there are a few keyboard issues that I think
requires
some attention.

1. If you press super+w (what is that view called?) and then press alt+f2,
then you can work with the window without bringing it into the foreground.
For instance, I pressed alt+f2, typed a few words and pressed enter. Those
words were sent to an IRC channel because Xchat had focus. What on earth
is the purpose of that?
Sounds like a bug where the application launching lens can receive
focus while the workspace switcher is open. File a bug on launchpad
with instructions to reproduce.
Then you can confirm that it is not an intentional feature
that I just don't understand?
2. When you press and hold super, then the launcher appears almost
immediately. If you hold it another second, then the icons get numbers on
them to show what number key to press in order to launch an application
or switch to it. My question is: why is there a waiting period before those
numbers are displayed? The one second without those numbers doesn't
seem to serve any purpose? There is a reason why I think this is important
but I'll save that for another post.
If you press<super>  + num, it launches the application or brings its windows
to focus  for the number that appears over that launcher icon.

Yes, but if you only press super, then the launcher is shown until
you either release it or press something else in combination. The
question is why the launcher and the switch numbers aren't displayed
simultaneous.

Why do you have to wait a second after the launcher is displayed
before the numbers are displayed on top of the tiles?

3. Is there an easy way to find all keyboard combinations in the different
"modes" of Unity? I mean normal desktop, lenses and super+w?
Not at the moment. The designers are trying to figure out keyboard
shortcuts that
are intuitive for everyone so we don't have to ship big manuals with
what all the
shortcuts do for everyone. If you can think of better ones, please suggest them
by all means :)

If no good overviews exists, then it is my intention to make one.
I didn't join this community out of curiosity.

I have some really good ideas for keyboard bindings. What is
the most efficient way to make them very visible to the Unity
developers that are working on Compiz stuff?

Where do I find information about Compiz plugins? I only know
a few languages, but if I can contribute with code, then that's
certainly what I'm going to do.

Thanks.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad