Re: [Ayatana] A realistic vision of the next iteration of Unity

I agree on all points, especially the frustration of not being able to remove the global menu/top panel.

Still though, wouldn't something like what I proposed earlier http://fav.me/d3h14i1 (disregard everything but the traybar in top-right corner) work?

Last I checked, Gnome supported multiple resizable panels. Wouldn't it be a simple matter of defining "this autoscaling, always-on-top panel goes in the the top-right corner and holds all the tray-icons per default"? As far as I see it doesn't violate the standard convention of how tray-icons work, while at the same time allowing for removal of the rest of the panel.

2011/5/29 Ed Lin <edlin280@xxxxxxxxx>
On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Niklas Rosenqvist
> Ok, should I post these in ayatana-design or should I be more specific?

The Expose thing is compiz, most of the other points concern the
launcher so I'd fill them under Unity. Actually I'm not really sure
what ayatana-design should be used for at all.
The ubuntu welcome center needs a different approach, maybe that's
what aytana is for? It's not a needs packaging because it doesn't
exist, it's not a part of core Unity either. It's more of a high level
design/usability goal.

PPA could be filled under ayatana too or directly under "ubuntu", it's
nothing that concerns a single package but is an
infrastructure/management issue.

But I'm no expert on these matters...