Re: [Ayatana] Dash design

Den 27. aug. 2011 18:14, skrev Michal Strba:
  1. You can find app by name or by category. New users probabbly doesn't know the names of the applications so finding by category is very useful. Currently, categories are bit unusable in dash because it doesn't shows only categories that exists (you have apps "in" it) but it wants to show all categories. That's not good. For example when you have installed some windows software through wine you don't see Wine category and it's lot harder to find windows applications, wine setting, etc. In GNOME 2 (and also Xfce, etc) it's done the best way. You have "Categories" and "Some shortcuts" for example for USC, Terminal, etc. "Some Shortcuts" are in unity represented by the launcher (launcher is of course lot better then "Some Shortcuts"). So dash need to contains categories. It can add most frequently used applications but not apps aviable for download. USC is for installing apps, not dash. It makes it only more unusefull.

I mostly agree. Empty categories should not be shown and installable
software should only be installed if there is a very good reason to do
so. For instance, if you search for vlc and it isn't installed, then it should
be shown as an installable application. Otherwise not.

  1. SEARCHING FOR FILES
    Currently it's done not good way because there are separed types of files ("Music", "Documents"). Don't you want to make a music player or document viewer integrated to dash?!?! Look for example at spotlight in mac, how it is useful.
There should absolutely not be any integrated programs in the dash.
It should be used to locate things, not to actually display them. That's
for other applications to take care of. I'm not sure I understand what
you're saying. Why is it a bad thing that the system knows what kind
of file you're looking for?

FINDING AND LAUNCHING APPS
The geniality is in simplicity. Do not add function, add function, add function..... It isn't the way.

Sure it is. We'll have lots of lenses. We'll have lenses for youtube,
for flickr, for askubuntu, for... All kinds of things. They won't be
installed by default though.

With dash you also need to open storage devices as well as with "Places" menu in GNOME 2. I think that dash need to contains this three "tabs": Apps, Places, Search. Guess what is for what! ;-)

Absolutely not. That should be done elsewhere. The lenses are
meant to locate data, not as a control panel, web browser or
anything else. The Places menu is still available in Nautilus.
That is a very good place for it. I see no reason to hadd any
particular interface in Unity to serve that purpose.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad