Re: [Ayatana] make adding ppas easier

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is offtopic but the post-release process only solves part of the
problem I tried to explain. If I'm reading PostReleaseApps[1] page
correctly it would still mean that, as per example on the wiki,
PyJunior would be locked only to version 1.0 while there might be 1.2
out.

To completely kill PPAs as means to upgrading applications there needs
to be an upgrade mechanism for already existing apps beyond simple
bugfixes. It would also increase overall stability/security since a
developer is more likely to support a newer version (especially
considering how fast the FOSS ecosystem moves).

Bug 578045 [2] is a good read on the matter.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/Process
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/578045

This also touches on something I think Ubuntu should do and that is
define their development platform. Pick an IDE such as Monodevelop,
pick frameworks, languages etc. and provide an officially supported
set of libraries that will ships with Ubuntu.