Re: [Ayatana] Thunderbird needs tighter panel integration

2011/9/7 Carl Ansell <afccarl1994@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Thanks, I found a bug report on this and the bug has since been fixed. It now also notifies me of new messages and turns the envelope blue. However, I still need to have Thunderbird open for this to work, which makes it a bit pointless as the Unity launcher has the counter to also alert me of new messages.

This is why I propose that Thunderbird should be allowed to run as a background process to check for messages, so that the Thunderbird window does not need to be constantly open.

This is something that has been bugging me for years!

On Windows, there is a extension that can hide Thunderbird into the notification area. I don't really know what is involved, but wouldn't it be possible to create an Linux-specific extension that hides Thunderbird into its indicator-applet? Or maybe this could be handled by the applet itself, with no need for an extension (can a different process hide/show a window? I think wmctrl can do that - if so, the modifications to the indicator applet shouldn't be too complex!)