Re: [Ayatana] Are Workspaces the right model?

* Thorsten Wilms (t_w_@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On 11/01/2011 06:18 PM, Omar B. wrote:
> >Isn't the "sets" idea similar to kde-activities ?
> >
> >http://maketecheasier.com/use-kde-plasma-activities/2010/09/01
> >
> >http://lifehacker.com/5668873/use-kde-activities-to-create-different-desktops-for-work-and-personal-use
>
> From what I understand without trying out the implementation: no.
>
> Activities are an addition to the workspace concept, not a replacement.
>
> An Activity seems to resemble what would be a set that may include a
> wallpaper, icons and widgets, but no regular windows.

No, it can have regular windows - I just tried it; on the windows
title bar menu there is an 'activity' menu and you can set that
to be 'all acitivities' or go down the list of check buttons adding
which ones you want.

It's not incompatible with workspaces; I have those as well and it
seems to play nicely with them.  (Although as I've said before
I like workspaces).

> With the desktop treated like a window and multiplied,
> desktop-windows could take the roles of Activities. Like having a
> minimalist file-and-widget manager window with wallpaper in each
> set.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /