Re: [Ayatana] Notifications in unity

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Conscious User
<conscioususer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The most obvious one is the ugly gap when no synchronous notification
> is being shown. But I personally think that making synchronous and
> asynchronous informations have the same appearance and positioning
> is a mistake by itself.

That this is the case should raise a red flag for everyone who has
paid attention to NotifyOSD. A big part of the design is that an
application can't control where notifications are. It can't treat a
notification bubble as a part of its own user interface — neither as a
dialog box nor a fancy tooltip. Yet indicator-sound is doing that
intentionally, by default! That same thing goes against a big part of
indicators, too: indicator-sound has no place assuming that indicators
are at the top right of the screen or in any way related to
notifications.

This probably doesn't sound particularly related to the discussion,
but I don't think breaking our own rules is going to encourage other
developers to use our APIs correctly. That can be hugely detrimental
to a platform.
If it's important that the sound indicator be showing the volume in a
visible way that looks like notify-osd, something needs to be
re-examined here before you lose control of the indicators and
notifications and they turn back into the system tray with pointy dialog
boxes.

Dylan