Re: Install Ubuntu at AC100-10D (Skandinavian model)

Hello,

Le 26/06/2011 19:03, Göran Säter a écrit :
Hi!

I have bought a Toshiba ac100-10d (skandinavian model), which I would
like to run ubuntu on but it does not work for me. My intention is to
run ubuntu on a 32Gb sd-card, so it is possible to unplug the SD-card
and then run Android also.

I got following equipment , Toshiba ac100-10d, a PC with Kubuntu 10.10,
SD-card 32Gb and a cable usb -> mini usb. I have installed tegra4linux
at my PC

When I read the README file at http://ac100.gudinna.com/internal/README
I understand that I don't need to load
tegra-2.6.29-arm2-ac100-internal-boot.img to my Ac100 via tegra4linux,
when I will run Ubuntu from SD-card.

Is thart correct ?

I have done following steps during installation.

   1.

      Load egra-2.6.29-arm2-ac100-boot.img to AC100 with.

sudo LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./nvflash --bl ../prebuilt/fastboot.stock.bin
--download 5 tegra-2.6.29-arm2-ac100-boot.img

   2.

      Plugin SD-card at the PC and format it with ext3.

      |sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sd||b||1|

   3.

      |Mount the reacently format SD-card.|

      |sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdcard|

   4.

      Install Ubuntu at the SD-card, I download tegra-rootfs.tgz from
      http://ac100.gudinna.com/tegra-rootfs.tgz.

      sudo tar xzvf tegra-rootfs.tgz --numeric-owner -C /mnt/sdcard

Then I umount the SD-card, plugit in my Toshiba and then start my
Toshiba and the it boots up with Android. Have i miss something when I
tried to install Ubuntu or have I done something wrong?

Your steps look quite correct, but the README assumes that Android 2.1 is installed on your AC100 (2.2 came later...).

The android 2.1 bootloader uses 2 boot partitions:
* the normal one (identified as part6 from nvflash). It's the one on which you boot Android by default. * the recovery one (part5) which is used when you press the HOME key upon power up. It's normally used by Android to reinstall the system.

It seems that you have used the partition #5 (nvflash --download 5 ...) so, only if your Android system is 2.1, you have to:
1- press the power button
2- wait the blank power light to be active
3- press and maintain the HOME key.
4- wait for the recovery message to appear on the screen, instead of the red toshiba logo screen
5- press the 1 key
6- if everything is fine, the kernel should boot the ubuntu system on your sdcard.

Android 2.2 is different:
* only the partition #6 is used
* Pressing Home key boots part6 as well, but an additionnal parameter is added to the boot command line (which doesn't really help you).
* Part 5 is now useless

So if your AC100 is running 2.2, you're left with two options:
* install Ubuntu boot image on part 6 instead of part 5. This means that ubuntu will boot by default, but you will loose Android, unless you install back the android boot image.
* install back Android 2.1 on your ac100.

And final words:
Always make backups of your ac100 before doing anything else!
It's basically impossible to brick or destroy your ac100 by playing with nvflash and/or ubuntu, but only if you have backups of your system to restore it (and if you know how to do it, but you can always find someone who know, just ask here or on irc...)

Hope this helps,
Gilles.