Re: Initial Ubuntu port wikipage

Jani,

Am Montag 08 August 2011, 20:19:30 schrieb Jani Monoses:
> Hi Ilya, Marc
>
> > so there is no code for ac100 that I wrote and know its usefull.
> >
> > > maby trying to load it after fastboot (not in place of) would give more
> > > success.
> >
> > I also tried a port a few month ago. It basicly booted (including LCD)
> > but at
> > that time I had no serial console (now I have ;-). I failed to get a
> > working
> > config for the latest u-boot-next tree on chromium.org. Maybe you have
> > some
> > hint. I'm willing to test it using the serial console once I get it
> > compiled.
>
> Do you guys have the code somewhere for others to test?

no my version (I deleted it from launchpad), but this here is more recent:
https://github.com/chpec/uboot-ac100.
(also obsolete now, but you my get a clue on what's required.

> Marc, do you mean keyboard support for UBoot is not even attempted? Serial
> console
> is not readily available on the AC100 :)

keyboard is a bit problematic because we need a special (nvec) driver for it. I
also don't know if the i2c driver in u-boot is sufficient.

> > You indeed need to load fastboot first which initialized the LCD. If we
> > can get
> > u-boot going that way, it would be a step in the right direction.
>
> Can you detail what are the various scenarios in which UBoot can run? The
> one I think is most user friendly is having
> it flashed to part 6 and booted by fastboot. I do not know very well how
> the onboard bootloader works, this is what I understand so far:
>
> There's a fastboot instance in the EBT partition(?) (which behaves
> differently in Android 2.1 and 2.2) that checks part 6 (and 5) for a valid
> abootimg then loads it.
> UBoot could be put in such an abootimg and optionally offer interactive
> booting.

correct. That's the way it worked here.

> UBoot could also be run in another mode for development, out of RAM, but I
> am not sure how that would involve nvflash and fastboot. Download fastboot
> as we do now for reading/writing partitions but then sending it commands to
> load another image in RAM and start it?

that worked with bootloader from Android 2.1 if fastboot failed to find a valid
kernel image in part6 (e.g. by formating it). Seems that with Android 2.2
bootloader that option was killed.

So happy flashing ;-)

Marc