Re: Kernel update request

On Tuesday 06 December 2011 21:24:59 Jani Monoses wrote:
> > I think each package has a bug tracker already. It's just that no one
> > uses it...
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+source/linux-ac100
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/linux-ac100
> >
> > Beside that, I'm fine with the idea.
>
> Yes, but those are Ubuntu specific. Would be good to have a project to
> track your git tree
> or even specific branches.
> Right now when someone says on IRC that 'microphone support is fixed'
> (for example), a bystander
> cannot know whether it means one of your 2.6.38 or 3.0 branches, .debs
> as uploaded in Debian,
> Oneiric or Precise, or one of the sound hackers' git branches.

What speaks against this is that users (those people who install distribution
packages) are normally filing the bugs, so they won't be able to tell you
which commit it is. Developers/hackers fix them or discuss them on IRC/Mail
and are able to compile their own kernel. It doesn't make much sense to file
bugs against each possible commit. Personally, I like people to file bugs on
the relevant distro bugtackers (or whoever made the kernel package) and CC our
mailing list on launchpad.

> Unless there's a more elegant way I think having a top level
> linux-ac100 project in Launchpad would
> alleviate some of this.(Without the craziness of importing the tree in
> bzr though, I hope that is optional, I am not sure yet)
> But as you say, only if people actually use it - meaning it is
> advertised on the gitorious page, in the channel topic subject, on
> this ml, etc.

I think someone can add the launchpad bugtracker to the IRC channel topic. As
said above, users won't use git anyway.