Re: kernel changes upstreaming status?

Hi Jani,

Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012, 22:10:49 schrieb Jani Monoses:
> Hello Marc and other kernel developers,
>
> what is the upstream status of the tegra2 and ac100 patches carried it
> the ac100 tree?
>
> With 3.0 only now stabilizing I am not sure how appropriate is to
> think of newer kernels,
> but still I am curious what amount of work would be needed to port to
> 3.2 or newer.

As the others devs already mentioned, AC100 support in mainline is nearly complete.
What is missing is the display support. AFAIK, this won't happen in the near furture
(or NV or someone else steps up and pulls something out of his hat). Olof Johansson
made quick and dirty port of the current driver to 3.2, but I failed to get it
working here. This won't be useful for a stable series anyway. Remember the ~600
pending patches?

> In Ubuntu 12.04 the majority of kernel packages will be 3.2 based so a
> smaller delta will make
> security and bugfix updates for the official distro kernels easier to
> apply to the ac100 one,
> it being maintained on a best effort basis only.

As it looks now, we have to stick with 3.0 for 12.04. I hope this does not create
problems. Chromeos normally follows the stable series (with a small time lag), so
security patches and important bugfixes will also go into our kernel tree. But for
this to work we would need to release our kernels independantly of the Ubuntu
releases. Are all ARM machines (I mean the kernel) updated at once?

Marc