Re: Disable ZRAM swap in 12.04?

On 07/05/2012 15:53, Jasper Taylor wrote:
I've been getting hangs of various durations (including infinite?) on
12.04 which I never had in 11.10 and was wondering if the ZRAM swap was
the culprit.

Unlikely. Probably some application goes away grinding onto the painfully slow flash.

So I tried turning it off by renaming
/etc/init/zram-config.conf. After doing this and rebooting, I found that
the ZRAM swap was gone but I still only had around 445000k of regular
RAM, the same as with ZRAM swap enabled!

ZRAM won't make the machine appear to have less RAM - top will still show the same amount, but kernel will use more memory as more ZRAM keeps getting used. 448MB of RAM is all you get on the AC100. You never had more. The total is 512MB and 64MB is mapped for the GPU by default. If you are using the nvidia binary driver, that is all you are going to get because the driver has no option to specify the amount of RAM it should use, and it expects there to be 64MB avaialble.

How do I get the extra main memory back as regular RAM?

If you are using the frame buffer driver, you can claw back most of those 64MB mapped for the GPU. There are also a few other tweaks you can apply to reduce the memory pressure further. Take a look here:

http://www.altechnative.net/2012/01/04/alleviating-memory-pressure-on-toshiba-ac100/

Gordan