Re: [Question #207724]: Which webbrowser is the best fit for Toshiba AC100 (quickest, most responsive, lightweight)?

Question #207724 on AC100_enablement changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ac100/+question/207724

Ivan Zakharyaschev confirmed that the question is solved:
As for the quickness, according to my feelings,

the quickest (having a quicker response to user actions than Firefox)
among the browsers in Ubuntu 12.04 are Epiphany and Midori;

then come Firefox and Chromium;

and the most slow is rekonq.

Perhaps, after I turned off spellchecking, as described in
https://answers.launchpad.net/ac100/+question/207704#comment-1 , Firefox
would become more responsive, at least, when typing in a text area.

In a system having so little RAM (as Toshiab AC100), the amount of
memory cobsumed by the browser is important (not only for the quickness
of the browser itself, but for other tasks in the system).

As for memory consumption, I haven't done precise observations for all
the browsers. I did though write down the memory consumption data for
Epiphany, because I suspected a memory leak (similalrly, the data can be
written down for other browsers) -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/epiphany-
browser/+bug/1042075 , https://gitorious.org/ps-memstat/ps-
memstat/blobs/epiphany/ac100-second-longer/ps-memstat-epiphany.out .

So, it seems to me that

epiphany and midori tend to consume too much memory: the more memory the
longer they work. (A memroy leak -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/epiphany-
browser/+bug/1042075 ?)

chromium consumes somewhat more memory than firefox.

I'm not ready to compare objectively their memory consumption. ("Their"
means that of firefox, epiphany, midori, chromium, and rekonq.)

There was also another issue with browsers, especially before I set up
on-disk swap in my system:

they crashed often. (rekonq crashed most often -- e.g.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rekonq/+bug/1030285 ,
individual tabs in chromium also creshed often, firefox sometimes
crashed.)

If you want to suffer less from the crashes, then chromium is more
convenient because of its isolation of individual tabs into sepaarte
processes (some tabs you are not currecntly viewing crash, but that's
not too bad, because the browser is still there, your current tab is
still there).

Even if there is more overhead because of chromium's isolation of tabs
into separate processes, this is perhaps even better for the system
control of resources, and I suspect this approach can give better
responsiveness, if there are many tabs open.

Also, it gives more stability w.r.t. crashes (that are due to little
memory perhaps).

So, I'd suggest using chromium by default, because it gives more
stability and predictabilty, even if it has some overhead because of its
architecture.

(Cf. disabling on-disk cache in browsers ofr better performance of the
flash memory drive: https://answers.launchpad.net/ac100/+question/207704
.)

AC100 Team, which is an answer contact for AC100_enablement.