Re: armel (soft-float) libflashplayer.so

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:59:00 +0100, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:26:23 +0200, Xerxes Rånby <xerxes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2013-09-24 14:12, Gordan Bobic skrev:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:04:49 +0200, Xerxes Rånby <xerxes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2013-09-24 13:58, Nicolás Wolovick skrev:
I used to have this file, but I cannot find it anymore, sorry.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I seem to recall that in the dim and distant past
    there was a soft-float version of libflashplayer.so
    from an ancient android port floating around.

    Unfortunately, I can no longer find it. the oldest
    version I can find, including the ones in the archives
    on the Adobe site, all seem to be hard-float,
    according to readelf -A (HardFP tag for SP and DP
    appears to be present).

    Unfortunately, I am running a soft-float distro on
    my AC100. Could anyone point me in the direction of
    where I might acquire a soft-float libflashplayer.so?

    I am quite certain I had it running on my AC100
    a long time ago, but since then I did a clean
    reinstall and lost the plugin.

    Gordan

The use the kotelett.no/ac100/phh/Android2.2/libflashplayer.so copy
stored by archive.org

sudo wget -O /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

http://web.archive.org/web/20120504024509/http://kotelett.no/ac100/phh/Android2.2/libflashplayer.so

I hadn't thought of archive.org. Nice one. :)

Unfortunately:
# readelf -A libflashplayer.so
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
  Tag_CPU_name: "7-A"
  Tag_CPU_arch: v7
  Tag_CPU_arch_profile: Application
  Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
  Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-2
  Tag_VFP_arch: VFPv3-D16
  Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
  Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
  Tag_ABI_align8_needed: Yes
  Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
  Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP
  Tag_ABI_optimization_goals: Aggressive Speed

Unless I am wrong:
Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP
implies a hard-float binary, does it not?

Actually this indicate --with-float=softfp that is soft float with
vfp optimizations
http://crux-arm.nu/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=3
Thus this is a ARM soft-float ABI file with VFP optimization.

for hard-float --with-float=hard you should see
Tag_ABI_VFP_args: VFP registers
as well

D'oh! My bad.

So the latest libflashplayer.so that actually "works" (I
define works in this case as is analyzable by ldd) on
armv5tel is 10.2. Unfortunately, on Firefox 17, it just
about gets to the point where it starts buffering a
youtube video stream, and then FF reports back that the
plugin has crashed.

Coupled with the L4T v15 release of tegra_drv.so having
the bitmap font corruption issue, I'm starting to wonder
why I bothered. Simple frame-buffer and an extra 62MB of
RAM seems like a more useful general-purpose option. :(

I hope the more recent releases work better, but I won't
be able to upgrade to hard-float until EL7 is out due to
toolchain constraints.

Gordan