acertimeline team mailing list archive

Re: Fan noise

Burkhard Ritter wrote:
[3810tg]
With the intel graphics card the fan spins faster all the time and the noise level is comparable to this six year old A31 Thinkpad sitting on my desk. To be honest, this is not what I expected when I bought an "ultra low voltage" notebook, so my question is whether this fan noise is normal or if I got a defective unit.

Are you sure you have the ATI switched off when using the Intel? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/435906

Also, does the fan slow down as it should when you unplug the AC adapter? In any case, you should check the power usage with powertop to get an idea of the amount of heat produced. A 3810t owner should be able to give you a reference for how many Watts is normal.