acertimeline team mailing list archive

Kubuntu on the Acer TimelineX 8172T

Hi everybody,

I am new to this list; just subscribed because I bought a new TimelineX
8172T notebook and want to report what's working, what's not (yet) working,
and to ask some help for the latter.

More precisely, my laptop is called

     Acer TravelMate TimelineX 8172T-38U4G32nkk ,

and I am currently using it with Kubuntu 10.10 64bit, fully updated.

Most things work nicely, in particular

* suspend to ram and resume
* Wired and wireless network (needed to install the broadcom driver for
wireless)
* usb connections
* card reader
* sound from the internal speakers
* the integrated camera
* external screen via vga
* Function keys: Brightness up/down, Volume up/down, mute, screen on/off
   the wireless on/off key toggles bluetooth only, whereas wireless seems to
be unaffected,
   the key for switching the display between laptop screen, external screen,
and both works, but sometimes the laptop screen ends up in the wrong
resolution
* graphics is basically working, including compositing out of the box, but
see below

What is not yet working:
* function keys: suspend, disable touchpad (both not important for me)
* suspend to disk - the laptop doesn't switch off completely and I had to do
a hard reset
* the internal microphone
* plugging in headphones doesn't mute the main speakers, and gives no sound
on the headphone
* external microphone from a usb headset does also not yet work
* finger print reader
* graphics: although video is basically working and also supports
compositing with transparancy, shadows and wobbly windows, the performance
seems to be a little low and effects are not as snappy as I would like them
to be. glxgears gives 50-60 fps. Sometimes I have graphics errors with drop
down menus not being displayed properly, but this might be due to the
drivers from xorg-edgers I am currently using.

To summarize, most things are working nicely, and I am quite happy with this
laptop. However, I would really like to get rid of the described audio and
video problems. I should probably add more information for people to be able
to give good advice, but what kind of information ... ? Any help is greatly
appreciated!

Steve

Follow ups