acmeattic-devel team mailing list archive

Re: [AcmeAttic] Design doc: Plan of action

On Saturday 10 July 2010 11:48 PM, Karthik Swaminathan Nagaraj wrote:
Like what Aditya suggested on another thread, I agree that we should try to get off the ground soon. For that initiative, I think we need to get the following things straight and in a consensus.

    * Solidify revision, encryption schemes for the first alpha
      release. Eg: I vote for skipping Snapshotting, provisions for
      revision merging and similar performance features. We would
      already need a lot of infrastructure set up to get to Release 1.

I am not yet sure what you mean by snapshotting. Do you mean that for the first release, we can simply keep daily revisions? That is, keep full copies of the file for each day? (Of course, no copy on day 2 if there is no change from day 1's copy).

    * Programming tools: Eg. I vote for tools like Protocol buffers,
      Python Twisted framework, pycrypto library (More on the Wiki [1])

I think we should try to reduce the dependencies on the s/w if we are to make it cross-platform. So, I propose that we should integrate pycryto code inside our software. Twisted should be available on most platforms (I think), so we don't have to worry about that. It would also be quite a challenge to integrate that into our s/w. I am still a bit ambivalent about Protocol buffers. I don't think we really need it. It is meant to be usable across programming languages, etc. We don't really need it. I think that a simpler way to exchange messages between server/client is to use pickling [1]. We can define a message structure that contains all the fields we require, and pickle it. We can wrap the pickled structure in TCP and send it.

[1]: http://docs.python.org/library/pickle.html