acmeattic-devel team mailing list archive

Re: [Blueprint] AA should use Python 2.7

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 10:15 PM, Karthik Swaminathan Nagaraj wrote:
I am cool with developing using a new version of Python. Couple of questions:

    * I am sure this is going to be released with the next version of
      the distros. But, is this going to be an update for current
      distros? Eg: Would Fedora 13, Lucid Lynx get Python 2.7 soon?

Since Lucid is a LTS release, I think python 2.7 will be packaged for it eventually. I don't know about Fedora 13. In general, the system with these quick releasing distros is that, new software is rarely packaged for older releases, but will be packaged for future releases.

    * I have not had a chance to get a tarball. What are its
      dependencies - supposing a user needs to backport?

To compile the python 2.7 distribution the only requirement is a fairly recent version of gcc. The ones in current releases are sufficient. I have myself compiled it on Lucid with the default C compiler and am using it. Backporting Python 2.7 to current stable releases of Linux distros, is just a matter of compiling it with the appropriate gcc version and packaging it.

I think by the time we get to a stable release, Python 2.7 would be well into many servers. Lets hope for that. I still see many INSTALL.txts with requirements of Python 2.4 (and not 2.6)

In October, Ubuntu will make its next release which will have Python 2.7, so many servers will have it soon after that. It will take some time for our s/w to become mature and widely usable. By then, it is likely that python 2.7 will not be much of a hindrance to adoption.

--
Aditya.