acmeattic-devel team mailing list archive

Re: [AcmeAttic] Design doc: Plan of action

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 12:24 AM, Karthik Swaminathan Nagaraj wrote:

It is unclear at this point if protobuf's performance will be improved. And since Thrift is in its initial stages, I am slightly apprehensive in adopting it. Up until now, I was assuming that we have to use Python classes to pass information. I realized that we could use Dictionaries with variable names mapping to their (heterogeneous) values. (Pardon the python ignorance).
Wrt. backward compatibility, I am fine if we are safe in writing code.
By safe I mean, cases where a new code is reading a message from old code. It cannot assume the presence or absence of a variable.
So cPickle it is!

Ah, you need to read the new blueprint (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/acmeattic/+spec/webapp-change-to-api-system). It is actually making out a case for using cross-language serialization technologies. We probably have to use protobuf/thrift, unless we downgrade to use XML/JSON!

--
Aditya.