acmeattic-devel team mailing list archive

Re: DropBox vs. SpideOak

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Karthik Swaminathan Nagaraj <
nkarthiks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I vote for this to be on our Discussions list at our next conference call.

I too vote for this topic to be in our Discussions list. I am at loss to
understand why we should enforce backing up concepts like
'backup-but-no-sync', 'different-clients-different-view', etc. I was under
the belief that the clients were mere 'access points' to the backed up data
of a user. The Spider Oak model abstracts every client installation as an
unique entity. In a DropBox like model, as a user I can create different
folders for different clients in case I want them separated. We are going to
allow the user to download single files/folders from the attic, which
together with separate folders for different clients, gives a Spider Oak
like experience.
IMO, our system must be very basic and flexible to use in most of the
scenarios. I hope this gives where I stand in regard to this thread.