androidu1-users team mailing list archive

Ubuntu One Files for Android

Hi everybody,

Happy New Year 2011! Since the list has been quite for some time already,
I'll let myself introduce again. My name is Michał Karnicki, and last summer
I've been working on AndroidU1 app during Google Summer of Code. An
application that gives you basic access to Ubuntu One cloud from Android.
I'm pretty sure almost all of you have tested/used it. You can find out more
here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AndroidU1

Although I have continued to work on the project after holidays, I lost some
momentum being distracted by unrelated issues, and the updates were coming
quite slowly. At the end of 2010 the project has been (yet again!)
recognized by Ubuntu One @ Canonical, and thanks to them we have a great
opportunity to continue developing this software, together with some great
programmers from Ubuntu One team!

That is why I'm pleased to inform you guys, that AndroidU1 has officially
become basis for Ubuntu One Files for Android and we're aiming at releasing
in not so far future. Since the list gathers most interested people in the
project and few of Canonical employees, I'll let myself update you regularly
about the progress :) !

Here we go then!

Jan 4th - Jan 5th

As of Dec 31st, AU1 has been re-written from scratch to support access to
all of ~U1 folder, UDFs and Shares. It uses new communications/sync backend
(generations instead of queries and nodeStates), features a Dashboard, all
U1 Services status indicator, and basic Settings.

Recent activities:
- triaged u1-java-sp dependency on InflaterOutputStream (not included in
recent u1-java-sp revisions) which broke download, updated setup to fetch
new sp custom build
- implemented saving uploaded file directly to ContentProvider (as opposed
to AU1). fixes LP:696566
- forwarding ContentProvider upload entry id back to SyncDaemon (will be
used for user feedback)
- upload indicator fixes
- better handling of service-busy indicators
- multiple minor fixes and improvements
- i18n (externalization to resources)
- list layout, login, dashboard improvements/modifications
- major code clean-up (some more pending, this is now a team sport, so I
should keep the sources clean)
- (most pround of) wrote much more zippy initial sync methods, using
transactions and raw SQL execution [uses generations feature]. Minor
clean-up necessary before commit.

Have a great evening!
Mike aka karni @ freenode