asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Asus UL30A Screen Brightness Fix

Hi all,

I wrote a little shell script to fix the issue with gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu (9.10) restoring the default AC / battery screen brightness settings (after some idle or mouse moves) when manually changing the screen brightness level with Fn+F5/F6.

Basically, the script :
- backups all modified files,
- installs xbacklight if needed,
- disables gnome-power-manager screen brightness handler,
- replaces the ACPI default files with alternative ones calling xbacklight,
- creates a "lcd" script in a "bin" subdirectory of user's home, which should be added to Gnome startup programs to initialize the default screen brightness wanted level.

I've tested it with Ubuntu 9.10 (64 bits) for a few days without finding any issue.

The script has been published in the community help, on the page I created for the UL30A : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AsusUL30A

Hope that will help someone. (It should work in Ubuntu 9.10 for all UL models compatible with xbacklight).

      Neehilo