asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: Keyboard/Cursor Issues

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 16:37 +1100, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> Does `gnome-mouse-properties` control evdaemon if it's installed (or,
> alternately, how do you prevent syndaemon from running if evdaemon is
> installed)?

AFAIK, gnome-mouse-properties controls the generic mouse-handler in
gnome-sessions. Evdaemon's device is also handled by the generic mouse
handler, so yes you can control it with gnome-mouse-properties. There is
also evdaemon-admin, which controls timeout, triggering keys, filtered
keys, devices, etc. It can be found System->Preferences if
evdaemon-admin is installed (recommended dependency of evdaemon
package).

Syndaemon controls only synaptic touchpads and therefore does not
interfere in our problem case with evdaemon. Furthermore, evdaemon
"grabs" the device it filters (by default, the filtered device is an
input device named "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse"). It means, that no
other handler can receive it's events and therefore if a synaptic
touchpad is grabbed, it's events are not delivered to Xorg.

You can think evdaemon as a filter between the device and it's handlers.
It clones the device it filters, and passes on the events of the cloned
device according to the configured rules (set with evdaemon-admin for
example).

--
Tuomas