asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

external monitor resolution

Dear Asus-UL30 list,

I have recently for the first time tried to use an external monitor with
my Asus UL30A-x5. It detects the monitor fine, but for some reason the
allowed resolutions are no good. Instead of allowing me to use the
standard 1280x1024 resolution of this (fairly old) external LCD screen,
it lists:

1360x768
1024x768
800x600
848x480
640x480

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I am using the monitor in 1024x768
to avoid stretching, and at this resolution it's almost not even worth
having the extra monitor

My first thought is that perhaps there isn't enough video memory to
increase the horizontal resolution, but I have no idea how to verify
this. I also thought that it was generally possible to use some sort of
virtual desktop setting in order to use a larger total desktop area
while sacrificing 3d acceleration or something, but I am just guessing.

I also tried turning off the laptop monitor and using only the external
monitor, but the resolutions are still limited. I would expect that if
it was a memory problem that it would work in external monitor only
mode.

Any thoughts? This is a minor nuisance on my monitor, but I expect it'd
be a much bigger problem if I was using a projector to give a
presentation with this computer (which I plan to do).

Brian

Follow ups