asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: external monitor resolution

Thanks for the suggestions.

I used the HDMI output with a TV to get 1920x1080 resolution, so I agree
that it's not the video memory.

On my old, old linux system I would manually enter the available
resolutions in my xorg.conf file; the monitor is definitely capable of
1280x1024 resolution, both according to my memory of using it with
ancient versions of debian and ubuntu as well as from reading the
technical specifications for the monitor online (Samsung SyncMaster
930B).

I have attached the errors produced by get-edid as Moritz suggested. I'm
not sure how to read it, but I suspect this is the interesting section:

=======
VBE/DDC service about to be called
        Read EDID

        Performing real mode VBE call
        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call failed

The EDID data should not be trusted as the VBE call failed
EDID claims 19 more blocks left
EDID blocks left is wrong.
Your EDID is probably invalid.
=======

I next tried looking at the firmware, which gave me the lshal.output
file. I'm afraid that I don't know quite what this information means,
but it looks like it may be the same bug reported by Moritz earlier. So,
here's a confirmed on the bug existing.

Thanks,
Brian

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 09:37 +0200, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia czwartek, 20 maja 2010 o 21:36:37 Brian Neltner napisał(a):
>
> > I have recently for the first time tried to use an external monitor with
> > my Asus UL30A-x5. It detects the monitor fine, but for some reason the
> > allowed resolutions are no good. Instead of allowing me to use the
> > standard 1280x1024 resolution of this (fairly old) external LCD screen,
> > it lists:
> >
> > 1360x768
> > 1024x768
> > 800x600
> > 848x480
> > 640x480
>
> Try to connect that monitor to other Linux machine and check what it will
> tell.
>
> > My first thought is that perhaps there isn't enough video memory to
> > increase the horizontal resolution, but I have no idea how to verify
> > this.
>
> I connected my UL30A to 42" FullHD tv many times and it gave me all
> resolutions supported: 1920x1080 and 1280x720 and both of them work perfectly.
> So it is not video memory problem.
>
> Regards,

  system.firmware.release_date = '12/28/2009'  (string)
  system.firmware.vendor = 'American Megatrends Inc.'  (string)
  system.firmware.version = '212'  (string)
  system.kernel.machine = 'i686'  (string)
  system.kernel.name = 'Linux'  (string)
  system.kernel.version = '2.6.32-22-generic-pae'  (string)
  system.kernel.version.major = 2  (0x2)  (int)
  system.kernel.version.micro = 32  (0x20)  (int)
  system.kernel.version.minor = 6  (0x6)  (int)