asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: Fn-F9 (Disable touchpad) conflicting with disable while typing

Hi Troels,

I'm not a Ubuntu user, but it seems to me that the "Disable touchpad by
typing"
option controls the syndaemon utility, which handles the "Synaptics Off"
property
of the touchpad.

If you use either "synclient TouchpadOdd=0|1" or  "xinput set-in-prop
$XINPUTNUM "Synaptics Off" 8 0|1"
in the acpi script controlled by Fn+F9, you manipulate the same property as
syndaemon does, so I don't
think you can manage the option "Disable touchpad..." and keeping the
touchpad off by Fn+F9
at the same time.

In my case I use another trick to disable the touchpad with Fn+F9, the
method
is described here (see "Code 2"):
http://www.techsupportteam.org/forum/members-tutorials/4247-kubuntu-turning-laptop-touchpad-off-different-approach.html

It works like a charm, except that syndaemon can't be use in conjunction
with this,
because when the touchpad is disable by this way, it does not appear any
more in
/proc/bus/input/devices, and this make syndaemon crash.

Hope that's clear :)

Pascal